This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

.Net Framework 4.5

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:21 PM

wondering if there are any plans to upgrade to 4.5 and 64bit O/S processing? Also looking for online tutorial. having problems with ODBC import of txt files. probably my issue not programs. this would be a great utility if my skill set was higher!

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:49 PM

1. Upgrade to 4.5? I purposely lag behind the current framework version when I release a product because the bulk of users may not yet have the latest version, and I don't want to put the impediment of having to install a new framework in the way of using SqlDiffFramework. Hence the fairly recent upgrade to 3.5 :-).

2. 64-bit O/S processing? Tell me more on what you are looking for; are you looking to handle larger data sets in memory? Or something else? In truth, I have only used SqlDiffFramework in 32-bit Windows, but this may be something to tackle soon.

3. Tutorials? As far as I know the only documentation is my user guide. If you have reviewed that--I put a lot of time into it! :-) --and still have questions, send them to me and I will try to give you some guidance.

Thanks for writing!

~~Michael

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Mr. Sorens:

Excuse the delay in my reply to your welcomed response to my post.

Let me say that after my post I spent several more hours immersed in your guide and trialing and “erroring” your program. I now must admit my problem was more my not having used SQL in a decade and trying to get your program to do more for which it was intended.

I researched building code violations as pertains organization I volunteer. So I came up with Excel list of around a hundred. A month later I ran the same research. I was looking for a freeware program that would compare Excel files and point out the particular gained or lost violations. I eventually achieved this with your SqlDiffFramework by narrowing comparison to violation number column, solely. Unfortunately, I do not know how to get it to send to a separate file the changes in violations over the time period (old versus new files)

I note that I found that MS Access has a Query Wizard that appears to do what I want and I include SQLview sample below:

SELECT 120812VioID

FROM vios120812

LEFT JOIN OLDvios ON vios120812.[VioID] = OLDvios.[VioID]

WHERE (((OLDvios.VioID) Is Null));

This outputs a usable table of “new” violations with associated, identifying building information that did not exist in old research that need to be addressed (deficiencies to be fixed or removed by maintenance crew work order).

I am now thinking, thanks to you and your program to actually learn how to get the research onto SQL server so that I can run query both directions to give me the accurate list of violation changes I seek.

Allow me to note your program is a FINE piece of compact programming!! Thank you very much for your effort and gracious altruism for placing it in the public domain. More astounding is your reply and concern!

I certainly have been improved and better directed by your software gift and just want you to know how it helped me, personally.

Yours respectfully,

Bruce

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Thank you for your kind words. It is always nice to hear when my community efforts provide a benefit to someone!

~~Michael