This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Get Comparison Results In a Log File

May 15, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Sir,

Congratulations and thank you for coming up with this wonderful project. Even most of the similar pay softwares do not offer the features you have provided. Is there anyway to output the comparision results to a log file instead of checking the comparison via colors in the grid?

Regards,

Pradeep.Y

May 15, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Great question, Pradeep!

At this time there is no way to output the differences to a file. I had thought about using a standard "diff" type of file format, but that only resolves down to lines (rows). I did not think that format would be terribly useful to be able to resolve down to columns. Also, my focus was on designing the tool for interactive use, allowing the user to filter and massage the data to zero in on discrepancies. Still, what you suggest would be useful for being able to monitor a system. One could have a daemon that checks the log file for anomalies and sends email alerts, etc. Note that I have taken the first step towards that with the "interactive batch mode", allowing you to run an unlimited number of query pairs and get a single table summarizing the discrepancies. I would probably consider a feature to write that summary table to a log file to be most useful in the near term, but I cannot promise a date for it at this time :-).

Thanks again for your feedback and let me know if you have other thoughts!

~~Michael Sorens

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:46 AM
msorens wrote:
Great question, Pradeep! At this time there is no way to output the differences to a file. I had thought about using a standard "diff" type of file format, but that only resolves down to lines (rows). I did not think that format would be terribly useful to be able to resolve down to columns. Also, my focus was on designing the tool for interactive use, allowing the user to filter and massage the data to zero in on discrepancies. Still, what you suggest would be useful for being able to monitor a system. One could have a daemon that checks the log file for anomalies and sends email alerts, etc. Note that I have taken the first step towards that with the "interactive batch mode", allowing you to run an unlimited number of query pairs and get a single table summarizing the discrepancies. I would probably consider a feature to write that summary table to a log file to be most useful in the near term, but I cannot promise a date for it at this time :-). Thanks again for your feedback and let me know if you have other thoughts! ~~Michael Sorens
Hi Michael - thanks again for an awesome tool. I've reviewed the documentation, but couldn't find an answer to the Q below. You mentioned "diff" in your reply - is that a good keyword to search to find my answer?

After performing an effective Additions compare, does the tool display or allow the user to see what SQL query/queries can be used to perform the same compare in a raw SQL environment?